Sunday, August 23, 2009

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz Cabernet 2006

The other night while entertaining friends, I opened a bottle of the Penfolds and let me say I was disappointed. It is a nice blend of 78% Shiraz and 22% Cabernet. However, the nose opened with some harsh alcohol aromas, along with grape jam and herb aromas. On the palate, I once again thought I was drinking a hard drink, even though it only has a 13.5% alcohol content. There was some smokiness and well structured oak but was completely overwhelmed with alcohol. The pomegranate on the back had a sour bite to it as well. I came back a few days later to try it again but unfortunately it did not get any better. Wine Advocate rated this a 91 but I think an 71 would have been more accurate. Don't buy into the big Australian name. This wine is not worth it. The Koonunga Hill retails for about $12.

No comments:

Post a Comment