Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Larson Family Cabernet Sauvignon 2003

One of my all-time favorite Cabernet's is the 2003 from Larson Family Winery in Sonoma. I have visited this winery on several occasions where the tasting is done in a barn. What is now Larson Family Winery was once the Embarcadero, farthest navigable point up Sonoma Creek from the San Francisco Bay, and the bustling gateway to Sonoma Valley. Beginning in 1847, steamboats docked here and turned around for the voyage back to San Francisco. Tom Larson's great grandfather Michael Millerick bought the "Captain's House" and 101 acres in 1899. Although the family has been planting grapes since the late 70's, 1988 was the year the winery was started with the first wines released in 1989. In addition to the Larson Family label, there is also the Millerick Road label. At my last visit in 2007, I was told, to my disappointment, that I was purchasing the last bottles of the 2003 Cabernet that they had in storage. I took all that I could get. This wine started off with wonderful aromas of currants, vanilla, spices and even a little orange peel. The fruit driven flavors of black currants and cherry were followed by tobacco, vanilla and spices. It finishes with some hints of chocolate. The tannins and oak were PERFECT! It retailed then for $50. This would be a great fit for a grilled filet with a mild sauce or pepper crusted, or even a tuna with a mild pepper relish.

No comments:

Post a Comment