Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Emilio Moro Finca Resalso 2008

Over the past few weeks, I have been on a Spanish wine hunt.  I have even gone back to some of my favorites, including the Tinto Figuero 15 (tasting posted February 25, 2010) .   I also just found in CT the Bodegas Ondarre Rioja Reserve 2004 which until now could only find in Switzerland (tasting posted July 31, 2009).  Can't wait to pop that cork.  The other night while having pizza, I tried the Finca Resalso 2008.  The Resalso is from the Leon region of Spain where the tempranillo grape is actually known as Tinto Fino. This dark garnet colored wine made from 100% tempranillo grapes started off with a big powerful aroma of black fruit that quickly changed to cowhide and star anise.  The 2008 had been aged for 4 months in French Oak barrels but the nose led you to believe a lot longer.  I also thought there was an abundance of alcohol on the nose.  On the palate, this medium bodied wine had plenty of red and black juicy berries along with dark chocolate, and again, a slightly elevated alcohol taste and oakiness.  The 2008 has a 13.5% alcohol content.  The earthiness that you sometimes find in the tempranillo wines was completely lost in this one.   I actually went back a day later to try it again but it did not get any better.  There was also a noticeable increase in acidity and a bitter cherry taste on the back end. The sales clerk at the store said he hadn't tried it so I was on my own.  The Wine Advocate rated this 90 points.  Maybe I had a bad bottle but I think they missed the boat on this one.  The Resalso  2008 at $13 or the Ondarre Reserve 2004 at $11 is a no brainer.   This would definitely be a pass next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment