Monday, March 22, 2010

Chateau Bellefont-Belcier 2004

I have to admit, I picked up this bottle because of the label.  I was raised in a small town in PA called Bellefonte, so of course seeing a label with the name on it was a must buy.  The Chateau Bellefonte-Belcier estate dates back to the 17th century and was founded by Count Louis François de Belcier.   Our tasting of this wine was over a two day period.  This medium to full bodied St. Emilion Grand Cru Bordeaux is from the Libournais region in France.  It has a dark purple color and is a blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc.  It starts off with a big nose of black fruits, cassis, leather and dark chocolate, along with a hint of vegetables from the Cabernet Franc.  The flavors were filled with black fruits, black cherries and plenty of smokey oak, along with some mushroom/earthiness flavors.  The tannins were very chewy the first day but mellowed slightly on the second day.  Additionally, I thought there was some extra acidity on the back end along with a slight bitterness.  I would hold this for another 3-5 years.  I think the 2004 has great potential and rumor has it the 2005 is exceptional.  I have the 2005 vintage in the cellar and look forward to comparing the two.  However, I think I will hold off for a few more years.  Spring arrived with some great weather for grilling.  This is a nice bottle for grilled chicken, pork or veal.  The Chateau Bellefont-Belcier reatils for about $34.  Wine Spectator gave the 2004 a 90 point rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment