Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Terrabianca Campaccio 2004


The 2004 Campaccio is a "super Tuscan" mix of 70% Sangiovese and 30% Cabernet. This medium-bodied wine had a deep red color and aromas of strawberry, plum and cocoa with a hint of leather. The structure was excellent with the fruit and some oakiness and a finish of cherries and vanilla. Nice long finish!! The wine got better as it opened. Highly recommend this wine. I will be looking to put some away for a few more years. This wine retails for about $26. Would pair nicely with a lasagna or another pasta dish.  The 2004 received a 91 point rating from the Wine Advocate.

The 2005 Campaccio was also tasted in the same sitting. I was disappointed with this wine. It did not have the full taste from the Cabernet that the 2004 had. It had the earthy taste expected from Italian wines but the structure was lacking. The black fruits and tobacco tastes were more subtle. This retails for about $29. For my taste, the 2004 was much better.

I look forward to my visit to Terrabianca later this year.

1 comment:

  1. I have always been a fan of any wines from Tuscany, especially the 'Super Tuscans,' This is one I will have to look out for. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete