Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Carpineto Dogajolo 2007

The Carpineto Winery is special to us as the Chianti Classico Riserva was the first bottle of wine my wife and I shared together nearly 15 years ago on one of our first dates. I don't remember what vintage it was as my attention was more on her than the wine, but it was a really nice wine. We had many more bottles of it while dating. We even made this a stop on our first trip to Tuscany 7 years ago. Needless to say, we left with a nice bottle to share at the hotel.

Last night we opened a bottle of the 2007 Dogajolo which is a "Super-Tuscan" blend of 80% Sangiovese and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon. The nose on this dark red wine was a little pungent with old dried cherries and dried plums with some stale coffee. The taste was not much better as the oakiness and tobacco overpowered the fruit. The tannins were relatively smooth with some mild acidity. I think this wine might develop with a few more years of aging, but I still probably wouldn't buy it again. After having the Chianti Classico Riserva, the Brunello di Montalcino and the Farnito all from Carpineto, the Dogajolo would be last on my list. But be sure to give Carpineto wines a try. The 2007 Dogajolo retails for about $10.

5 comments:

  1. The Dogajolo has always been a favorite of my wife and I. One of my first wine reviews.
    http://tinyurl.com/ydunxrk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... Are you a fan of oak? Maybe that's why there's a discrepancy in tastes on this one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't just the oak, it was the full experience from aromas, taste and structure. As a fan of Carpineto, we were disappointed. Maybe it will develop with more aging. Joe posted the '06 and this is the '07. I would try another bottle but I really like the other Carpinetos better. I would like to try the '06 now and compare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had the '07 and found it a bit more tobacco and more pungent than any I've had before.
    I am also a big fan of Carpineto and never did think that the Dogajolo compared with the Chiantis, but it is a very nice alternative at a very reasonable price. If the '07 was my first, though, I probably would not buy again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, I agree with your comments. It sounds like the '07 just might be an off year for this wine. I have also had previous vintages that I remembered being good which is why I picked this one up. Stick with the chianti's if you can find them.

    ReplyDelete