Friday, July 31, 2009

Marques de Caceres Rioja Crianza 2003

There are three categories of red Rioja's exported from Spain. Crianza wines are exported the most. These are easy drinking, every-day wines that are aged for at least 1 year in the barrels and 1 year in the bottle. Basically, Crianza wines are ready for consumption on release. Next are the Reserva wines. These are aged for at least 1 year in the barrels and two years in the bottle and sometimes longer. Reservas are at their best between 5 and 7 years after the vintage date on the label. Finally, the Gran Reservas. These are aged for at least 2 years in the barrels and 3 years in the bottle. Gran Reservas are best between 10 and 15 years old.

This 2003 Marques de Caceres is a Crianza Rioja that is made from 85% tempranillo and the the remaining 15% from a mix of garnacha and graciano. It has a nice aroma of cherries and blackberries along with our fresh garden herbs. On the palate, I tasted strawberries, cranberries and a hint of cinnamon. The Crianza had subtle tannins but was disappointed in the finish. There was some acidity and oak but well structured and easy drinking. We served this with a pork chop that had been marinated in a Mexican salsa and then grilled over a wood fire. If you are looking for a change, try a Rioja. Retails for about $15. I will buy more of this wine.

1 comment:

  1. Marques de Caceres is among the best Rioja's in todays market. Not only for taste, but also value.
    Very hard to find any Rioja of this quality anywhere near this price.